Friday, September 24, 2010

Decorating school

Last year, after having more than family asking for cakes to be made on special occasions, my sisters and I decided to enroll into cake decorating lessons, to better polish our skills and techniques. We traveled to Ottawa for the first course offered in the Winton School ( there are series of courses). We had a wonderful time, lots of laughs, and developed a greater understanding in the world of cakes!!!
eager students with their textbooks out
We explored starring techniques, ball techniques, dirty icing, edging techniques and building roses or clowns! We were taught about pressure, consistency, burping, and  cake troubleshooting (how to cover up mistakes). We also got a glimpse of transferring images onto cakes. With these basic skills the options and ideas of cake decorating is endless!!

Currently, we are in the process of setting up our next few decorating course. I look forward to developing my talents, the moment my panik is starting to pick up some the skills she'll been seeing us do. She always wants to join in decorating when we are in production. The children in my family are so tired of cakes that they no longer eat cake, nor want us to 'decorate' them- my oldest son, one year, asked for plain green circle cake for birthday- nothing more!
my Panik adding her touches to some leftover cake

1 comment:

  1. Please make sure you confirm the dates and time with the cake decorating instructor(s) before you book the flight.

    Tusulli going Ottawa!

    ReplyDelete